The Medical University of Sofia is the oldest Bulgarian institution for higher medical education. The university was founded in 1917 and has become a leading medical university in Bulgaria.
The law establishing the Medical Faculty of Sofia University was passed by the 17th National Assembly on November 10, 1917. By decree №21 of His Majesty, Tzar Ferdinand entered into force and is recorded in the government’s White Paper on 22.11.1917.
The first lecture at the Faculty of Medicine was held on April 10. 1918. The official opening was attended by the Minister of Education and by the members of the Supreme Medical Council. Professor G. Shishkov read the first lecture on zoology, and the second is from Al. Hristov, professor of physics. In 1950 the Medical Faculty became independent and continued its history by the name of Medical Academy. Since 21 of May 1995 according to the decision taken by the National Assembly, the institution became the Medical University of Sofia.
Nowadays the University is a modern structure composed of four faculties: Medical Faculty, Dentistry faculty, Pharmaceutical Faculty and Faculty of Public Health. With its four faculties and two colleges, the Medical University is the leader in the formation of young medical and health professionals.
The university works in partnership with more than 12 University Hospitals to give young Bulgarian practitioners and students the best practical education.
The Medical University of Sofia has been working in collaboration with ICMS (International Congress of Medical Sciences) and since its first edition helped to make the congress a reality and support for students from all around the world.